February Business Meeting, 2/3/15

Officer’s Reports:

Exchequer (al-Sayyid Abu Shadi Da’ud ibn Zahir):

At the beginning of 2014, we started with $626.53 and ended the year with $1372.79, which equals a gain of $746.26. We had a very good year, with our most significant profit being realized from Spring Training, where we made approximately $800.00 in profit.

Chatelain (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Previously a survey was passed out among attending people to ascertain areas and subjects of interest. There are surveys available anytime if anyone would like to submit and/or modify one. As always, everyone is welcome at any of our events or meetings, if interested contact the Chatelain for more information (Rickard.de.als.@gmail.com)

Herald (Frøkn McCoinneach):

The list of registered Heralds for Midrealm was reviewed and Frøkn is on the list now. Anyone may check with him at any time if needing guidance on name or device submissions.

Minister of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix):

There will be offerings for Spring Training, to be announced at a later time. A list will be passed around for people who wish to put down what projects they’re currently working on.

Web Minister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson):

It is noted that on our Shire website, there are new dances listed and also links to videos on You Tube of the dances, as well as a wealth of information about the dances. As the Web Minister is also our Dance Master, he wished to note that the dances included some new brawls and that we will be working on them in two weeks. They are already on the site, under the “Dancing” area. Our Shire website is located at www.Rivenvale.org. If you have any questions on any of the web content, or wish to make any suggestions for additions, feel free to contact Lord Hrafnsson or any officer at any time. You will find their SCA and mundane names and phones and email contact information on the Shire site under ”Officers”.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Thrown Weapons will be offered at Spring Training.
During the winter season, there is work to be done on weapons for stowing, sharpening and cleaning them. If you have weapons and would like more information on winter techniques as mentioned, feel free to contact The Honorable Lord Rickard.

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

The Seneschal was unable to attend this Business Meeting. Her role of conducting the meeting was assumed for this night by Lady Beatrix, the Minister of Arts & Sciences.

Archery Marshall-in-Training (Frøkn McCoinneach):

There will be Archery available at Spring Training.

Chronicler (Áine ingen Uí Briain):

There is nothing new to report at the moment.

There was some general discussion about The Shire Decision-Making Policy. It can be viewed by looking under the “Officers” link and then on the “Policies” link on the Shire website.

Event Updates:

Past Events:

Our last Shire event was Winter Wassail on January 24th.

Future Events:

Spring Training:

Spring Training at the Church on April 18th. Event steward will be The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als. New to this year will be a Feast, Feast steward will be Áine ingen Uí Briain. We will have a lunch soup and salad bar tavern. As of this moment we anticipate it to be more arts-centered as there is no heavy fighting or light fighting marshal available for the event. We want to have a wide variety of classes to offer, so please consider sharing your knowledge and talents with us by teaching a class. Lady Jendriska Bellasez will be in charge of the class roster, so please email her at PreKJen03@gmail.com to volunteer to teach a class or lead a special interest group.

Other Upcoming:

Next month’s business meeting on Tuesday, March 3rd is our Revel. Garb and feast-gear is required for our potluck.

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,
Áine ingen Uí Briain

January Business Meeting, 1-6-15

January Business Meeting, 1/6/15

Officer’s Reports:

Exchequer (al-Sayyid Abu Shadi Da’ud ibn Zahir):

There is nothing new to report at the moment.

Chatelain (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

There is nothing new to report at the moment. As always, everyone is welcome at any of our events or meetings, if interested contact the Chatelain for more information (Rickard.de.als.@gmail.com)

Herald (Frøkn McCoinneach):

There is nothing new to report at the moment. Anyone may check with him at any time if needing guidance on name or device submissions.

Minister of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix): There is nothing new to report at the moment.  The required paperwork was sent in to register Lady Beatrix in this position. Lady Beatrix’s information has been added to the Officer page.

Web Minister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson):

Our Shire website is located at www.Rivenvale.org. If you have any questions on any of the web content, or wish to make any suggestions for additions, feel free to contact Lord Hrafnsson or any officer at any time. You will find their SCA and mundane names and phones and email contact information on the Shire site under ”Officers”.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

During the winter season, there is work to be done on weapons for stowing, sharpening and cleaning them. If you have weapons and would like more information on winter techniques as mentioned, feel free to contact The Honorable Lord Rickard.

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

The work on the job and event descriptions is underway. When completed, the updated descriptions will be put on the Shire website. Chronicler (Áine ingen Uí Briain):

There is nothing new to report at the moment.

Event Updates:

Past Events:

Our last Shire event was the Fall Brawl. Please see November’s minutes for a recap.

Future Events:

Winter Wassail:

January 24th, Event Steward is Lady Beatrix. It will be from 5:00 – 10:00 pm at Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown. It is a gorgeous setting. This is a free event, as we are prohibited from charging admission at the door. Shire members are asked to donate $10.00 per person if possible to help us defray the cost of the venue. If you have not donated and wish to do so, we will be taking the donations up until the date of the event. There will be a Chinese Auction of items donated. The focus of the auction is items people have made, that would be of interest to other SCA members. This event is another great opportunity to introduce new people to SCA. As always, garb is required, and feast gear strongly recommended. The feast is a potluck feast, but this time people are asked to provide period potluck food. Also as is our practice for potlucks, you are asked to provide an ingredient list on an index card along with your potluck submission. This will assist people with food allergies to determine if certain foods are safe for them to eat. If you have questions about recipes, feel free to contact the event steward.

Other Upcoming:

There will be a project day in February, scheduled for February 7th. It will be a personal heraldry day, where we can either work on the creation of our devices, or putting our devices or other items/symbols that represent ourselves on any media we desire, such as making a personal banner, belt flags, pretty much anything you want to do. There was some discussion about wooden kite shield shapes 1”x10”x12” board. We can do sewing, there will be sewing machines available.

Spring Training at the Church on April 18th. Event steward will be The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als. New to this year will be a Feast, Feast steward will be Áine ingen Uí Briain. We will have a lunch soup and salad bar tavern. As of this moment we anticipate it to be more arts-centered as there is no heavy fighting or light fighting marshal available for the event. We want to have a wide variety of classes to offer, so please consider sharing your knowledge and talents with us by teaching a class. Lady Jendriska Bellasez will be in charge of the class roster, so please email her at PreKJen03 to volunteer to teach a class or lead a special interest group.

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,
Áine ingen Uí Briain

December Business Meeting, 12/2/14

Officer’s Reports:

Exchequer (al-Sayyid Abu Shadi Da’ud ibn Zahir):
Abu Shadi reported that out coffers contain the amount of $1,477.39. He submittedthe 3rd quarter report, and everything is balance.

Chatelain (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
There is nothing new to report at the moment. As always, everyone is welcome at any of our events or meetings, if interested contact the Chatelain for more information (Rickard.de.als.@gmail.com)

Herald (Frøkn McCoinneach):
His device is in process of being approved. The shire device is being mailed this week. Anyone may check with him at any time if needing guidance on name or device submissions.

Minister of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix):
Lady Beatrix has volunteered for this position. The change request form is being done. This position is responsible for the arranging of the Arts & Sciences at events, and reports to the Kingdom on our activities of this nature. Lady Beatrix’s information will soon be added to the Officer page.

Web Minister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson):
Our Shire website is located at www.Rivenvale.org. If you have any questions on any of the web content, or wish to make any suggestions for additions, feel free to contact Lord Hakon or any officer at any time. You will find their SCA and mundane names and phones and email contact information on the Shire site under ”Officers”.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
During the winter season, there is work to be done on weapons for stowing, sharpening and cleaning them. If you have weapons and would like more information on winter techniques as mentioned, feel free to contact The Honorable Lord Rickard.

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):
The work on the job and event descriptions is underway. When completed, the updated descriptions will be put on the Shire website. Event Updates:

Past Events:
Our last Shire event was the Fall Brawl. Please see last month’s minutes for a recap.

Future Events:

Winter Wassail:
January 24th, Event Steward is Lady Beatrix. It will be from 5:00 – 10:00 pm at Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown. It is a gorgeous setting. This is a free event, as we are prohibited from charging admission at the door due. Shire members are asked to donate $10.00 per person if possible to help us defray the cost of the venue. If you have not donated and wish to do so, we will be taking the donations up until the date of the event. We are still about $125 short of paying for our venue. There will be a Chinese Auction of items donated. The focus of the auction is items people have made, that would be of interest to other SCA members. This event is another great opportunity to introduce new people to SCA. As always, garb is required, and feast gear strongly recommended. The feast is a potluck feast, but this time people are asked to provide period potluck food. Also as is our practice for potlucks, you are asked to provide an ingredient list on an index card along with your potluck submission. This will assist people with food allergies to determine if certain foods are safe for them to eat. If you have questions about recipes, feel free to contact the event steward.

Other Upcoming:
There will be a project day in February, scheduled for February 7th. It will be a personal heraldry day, where we can either work on the creation of our devices, or putting our devices or other items/symbols that represent ourselves on any media we desire, such as making a personal banner, belt flags, pretty much anything you want to do. We can do sewing, there will be sewing machines available. More to follow on this in January’s minutes.

Spring Training at the Church on April 18th. Event steward will be The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als. New to this year will be a Feast, Feast steward will be Áine ingen Uí Briain.

 Miscellaneous Modern-day Activities (No garb required):
There will be a “Hobbit Movie Marathon” on December 13th, in preparation for a group outing on December 20th to attend the newest Hobbit Movie. More info will be promulgated during our Tuesday night meetings, and possibly a Shire emailing. Stay tuned for more details.

We will be having a New Year’s Eve Party on December 31st. An emailing with all of the info will be forthcoming. We anticipate starting about 5:00 pm.

In Closing:
If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

This Chronicler wishes to take this opportunity to wish everyone a most wonderful, meaningful and joyous Holiday season. May you have the opportunity to have wonderful celebrations with family and friends alike, in the manner of your choosing.

Respectfully submitted in service,

Áine ingen Uí Briain

Minutes: November Business Meeting

November Business Meeting, 10/2/14

Officer’s Reports:

Exchequer (al-Sayyid Abu Shadi Da’ud ibn Zahir):

Abu Shadi has now taken over the position of Exchequer. The bank statements are in and there is uncertainty as to the date that the report was sent out by the previous Exchequer. Abu will check with Lady Æðelhild æt Liðerlande, previous Exchequer.

Chatelain (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

There was one new person inquiring about the shire, information was shared. As always, everyone is welcome at any of our events or meetings, if interested contact the Chatelain for more information (Rickard.de.als.@gmail.com)

Herald (Frøkn McCoinneach):

We have no specific days scheduled for Heraldry at this time, but anyone may check with him at any time if needing guidance on name or device submission.

Minister of Arts & Sciences (Lady Donata Ianelli di San Bartolomeo en Galta):

Lady Donata wishes to step down and would welcome a volunteer (or possibly more than one) to assume this position. This position is responsible for the arranging of the Arts & Sciences activities at events, and reports to the Kingdom on our activities of this nature. You can find Lady Donata’s contact information on the Officers page of our website. Contact our seneschal if you are interested.

Web Minister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson):

Our Shire website is located at www.Rivenvale.org. Pictures have been posted from the Fall Bransle. If anyone has any photos they wish to add they may send them to Lord Hakon. If you have any questions on any of the web content, or wish to make any suggestions for additions, feel free to contact Lord Hrafnsson or any officer at any time. You will find their SCA and mundane names and phones and email contact information on the Shire site under ”Officers”.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

During the winter season, there is work to be done on weapons for stowing, sharpening and cleaning them. If you have weapons and would like more information on winter techniques as mentioned, feel free to contact The Honorable Lord Rickard.

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

A reminder that reports are due for Seneschal & Web Minister on November 15th. Officers are instructed to keep an eye on the website and note when their deadlines for reports are and make sure that they get sent in on time.

The work on the job and event descriptions is underway. When completed, the updated descriptions will be put on the Shire website.

Event Updates:

Past Events:

Fall Bransle
All went well, we had twice the number of people we had last year. Our 1st Annual Beer & Mead Exchange was a success, with many varieties to choose from. The potluck feast was very generous, and delicious. Thanks to all of the good cooks and thanks to Jendriska and Áine for organizing the feast. We made $122 on our rummage sale. Thanks most of all to Lord Hakon Hrafnsson for all of his hard work and wonderful planning and organization.

Future Events:

Road to Valhalla:
November 8- Gwyntarian, Stow, Ohio
Court in attendance, classes & feast

Winter Wassail:

January 24th, Event Steward is Lady Beatrix. It will be from 5:00 – 10:00 pm at Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown. It is a gorgeous setting. This is a free event, as we are prohibited from charging admission at the door due. Shire members are asked to donate $10.00 per person if possible to help us defray the cost of the venue. To this point we have already collected $130 of the $250 dollars.   There will be a silent and/or Chinese Auction. The focus of the auction is items people have made. This is another great opportunity to introduce new people to SCA. As always, garb is required, and feast gear strongly recommended. The feast is a potluck feast, but this time people are asked to provide period potluck food. If you have questions about recipes, feel free to contact the event steward.

There will be project days in March & June 2015, more info to follow.

Spring Training at the Church on April 18th. Event steward will be The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als. New to this year will be a Feast, Feast steward will be Áine ingen Uí Briain.

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Áine.

Please forgive the lateness of this submission.

Respectfully submitted in service,

Áine ingen Uí Briain

Minutes: September Business Meeting

September Business Meeting, 9/2/14

Officer’s Reports:

Exchequer:

There is going to be a changeover in this position, it will be changing from Lady Æðelhild æt Liðerlande to al-Sayyid Abu Shadi Da’ud ibn Zahir. There is a good amount of money in the treasury from the various events wehave had, specifically Spring Training (an amount was not reported).

Chatelain:

Attendance is up, there is one new person here tonight (Dave). All are welcome.

Herald:

Many members have been working on names and devices, some are up at the Kingdom level at this time for approval. There will be future events scheduled, but anyone is free anytime to contact the Herald with anyquestions/guidance needed.

Minister of Arts & Sciences: Nothing to Report

Webminister:

There are many changes and upgrades to our website, located at www.Rivenvale.org. There is an updated “Awards” area on the right side of the page, which contains a list of all of the awards and their emblem. It also offers an explanation of what the award is about and there is a link to the names of anyone in our shire who has received an award. This is helpful if we wish to nominate someone for an award. If there is a specific person who you want to check on to see what awards they have, you can go to the Midrealm Middle Kingdom page at http://www.midrealm.org/op/ where you can search by entering a member’s name. If you don’t know the whole SCA name you can enter the first part of their name, followed by an asterisk (*) and it will do a search for you. If you wish to nominate someone for an award, tradition in our shire has been to nominate them secretly by contacting other members and signing a petition. If the award is approved, they will receive it at Court at one of our main events. Contact any officer with further questions.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant:

We will be doing Thrown Weapons work at Saxon Summer. Bring your own weapons if you have any. Some sessions will expect you to bring your own, although there will possibly be some loaner weapons available. At Saxon Summer, there will be a beginner’s class at 9:00 am Saturday, which would be a good time to attend if you have never done this before or have little knowledge.

Archery Lieutenant-in-Training:

We did not have any events last month, but there will be some training at Saxon Summer. There may not be specific events at Saxon Summer, but there will be some equipment there for practice. We are hoping to have future archery sessions at one of our upcoming meetings, stay tuned for further information on this.

You may see the names of all officers and their contact information on the Officer’s Page on our website.

Seneschal remarks (from the following day, entered into the record):

Last night we had a spectacular turnout for our business meeting. Over 20 attendees! We had a lot to get through with Saxon Summer this weekend and two other events coming up soon.

I brought up a few new items of business that I’d like to revisit right now. Over the next few weeks I would like to work with current and former officers along event staff to create job descriptions for each position we have in the shire. I would like to have these guidelines ready to present to the populace at the October business meeting. They will have one month to look them over and make notes. In November we will discuss and make changes, and then vote on it in December. After Saxon Summer, I will be sending out an email to officers and staff, so start thinking about what you do. As you work this weekend, make notes about how we can improve for next year. My goal is not to discourage anyone from volunteering. On the contrary, I want everyone to feel that they have the capability to do so. If we establish a list of expectations, there should be no question as to what needs to be done.

And one last bit of business. I am pleased to announce that we will once again have a Chronicler! Áine O’Brien has volunteered to take the position. I am excited to see what she has in store for us. Hoobah!

Future Event Updates:

Saxon Summer: To be held this Saturday, September 6th (the main day) at Joseph Badger Meadows Campground. There will be overnight camping on Friday and Saturday nights. The program events will be heldon Saturday. As for all SCA events, garb will be required. The Event Steward is Abu Shadi. If you are available to help come early for set-up, please do not come earlier than 2:00 pm. You will need to provide your own food for Friday night, Saturday breakfast and Sunday breakfast. At mid-day on Saturday, there will be a Mid-Day feast. You must make reservations for the feast, there will be an additional charge. The evening meal will be a potluck, please bring a dish or contribution for the meal. On Saturday, there will be many events and classes, most classes either have no participation fee or minimal cost. The events during the day on Saturday will be paused for the feast. For more information, please visit the web page at http://rivenvale.org/events/saxon-summer/

Fall Bransle:

This will be held on Saturday, November 1st at the church. Check the website for more information: http://rivenvale.org/events/fall-bransle. Info will be added as it becomes available. The event will be starting around 1:00 pm and go throughout the evening. There will be a potluck feast with period food and dance classes. We will also be having the 1st Beer & Mead Exchange.

Other upcoming events:

Winter Revel at the Church in December.

Winter Wassail on January 3rd at the Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park. We will be collecting $10.00 from each member between now and December to help pay for the site rental fee, as we are not allowed to charge admission for the event at the door. More information will be forthcoming.

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Áine.

Respectfully submitted in service,

Áine ingen Uí Briain

October Activities

The activities for October have been scheduled as follows:

October 04 (SATURDAY)

    • PROJECT DAY – Shire Tabards and Replacement Pennons
    • LOCATION: Northbury Colony Clubhouse – 1781 Cranberry Lane, Warren
      North of our usual meeting place. Take North Road north to the next light (Reeves Rd.). Turn left and take the first right, which is the entrance to Northbury Colony. Take the first left, then the second right. The clubhouse is in the center of the neighborhood, on the north side of the swimming pool. See our Events page or call Hakon at 234-600-6432 if you have any questions.

October 07

    • Business Meeting
    • Pot Luck
    • Dancing

October 14

    • Thrown Weapons
    • Juggling

October 21

    • Perfume & Grooming
    • Leatherworking

October 28

    • Campfire & Campfire Food
    • Bardic Activities

August Activities

August 05

Meeting Cancelled (due to Pennsic War)

August 12

Business Meeting and Pot Luck dinner, with dancing afterwards

August 16 (SATURDAY)

PROJECT DAY: Making garb, with some emphasis on cloaks
LOCATION: Northbury Colony Clubhouse – 1781 Cranberry Lane, Warren
North of our usual meeting place. Take North Road north to the next light (Reeves Rd.). Turn left and take the first right, which is the entrance to Northbury Colony. Take the first left, then the second right. The clubhouse is in the center of the neighborhood, on the north side of the swimming pool. Call Hakon at 317-496-9947 if you have any questions.

August 19

Favor-making
Heraldry

August 26

Camping Review
Overview of making tents