May Business Meeting, May 2, 2017

May 3, 2017, 2017

 Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened the meeting and took attendance, not all who were physically present were mentally accounted for.

Each officer then reported:

Exchequer (Lady Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that there is $2464.90 in the Shire Treasury. The money from the Spring Training event has been finalized.  Select officers will be meeting on Saturday to sign new cards at Bank for check writing purposes.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Nothing new to report. Encourages those in attendance, who have not registered their device she would be happy to assist. Bad Friar.

Chatelain (Lady Beatrix Beeman):

Continues to work on email and list of anyone who may have visited or attended meetings or events in the past. Needs to get official email settings correct prior to sending emails.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Nothing new to report. Lady Áine would like to be kept appraised of work being done by individuals. This will assist in her reporting but also may be of interest to other members and for future classes.

Chronicler (Friar Gillis MacLachlan):

Nothing new to report. A request was made to include recipes in the quarterly newsletter.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Weather has not cooperated thus far this year, nothing to report for the shire. Paperwork for those interested in pursuing Marshal In-Training will be completed at upcoming meeting.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Weather has not cooperated thus far this year, nothing to report.

Web Minister (William Keith of Rivenvale):

William was not present. Rickard, deputy Web Minister, reported that a new tab was added to the website to make finding past Newsletters more convenient. Also suggested that older, paper versions of newsletters should be scanned and added, time permitting.

Youth Minister (Lady Nuria Enid Imogen):

Lady Nuria reported that additional members Lady Beatrix and Lady Katherine will also get background checks to ensure the required two members be present for activities to be publicized for Children’s activities. No activities can be offered for the Warrenshire demo due to unavailability of two members.

Dance Mistress: (Lady Lettice Spindler):

Identifying which dances and dancers for the Shire demo, Warrenshire faire, is under way.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Planning and Coordinating for the Warrenshire faire/demo continues. Rickard is looking for individuals to sign up for a variety of duties during the faire; including: Camp attendants/guards, Craft or Arts & Science in Market stalls, Guards for Parade and Thrown Weapons practice.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Nothing to report.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for August. View the calendar on our website for all the details. Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible.

Events:

 Saxon Summer, Fri-Sun, Oct. 6-8, 2017 (Event Steward – The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Friar Gillis. Note that these minutes will be published on our shire website.

 

March Business Meeting, March 7, 2017

Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened the meeting and passed around the attendance sheet.

Each officer then reported:

Exchequer (Lady Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that there is $2,239.60 in the Shire Treasury.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Nothing to report.

Chatelain (Lady Beatrix Beeman):

Nothing to report.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

A&S report is due April 1st; will be passing around a sheet for people to list their project on.

Chronicler (Friar Gillis):

Friar Gillis was not present.

Report is due 4/1.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Report was turned in.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Report was turned in.

Web Minister (William Keith of Rivenvale):

William was not present.

Youth Minister (Lady Nuria Enid Imogen):

Still waiting for the background checks from the Kingdom office.

Dance Mistress: (Lady Lettice Spindler):

Dance practice after the meeting for those interested.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Trying to get Armored and Rapier demos for the Warrenshire Faire. We will do a dance class and dance demo on Sat, and one dance demo on Sun. A&S/Camp demos as usual. Period/modern camps will be available on site.

We are still waiting to hear back from the Summer Festival of the Arts regarding getting a space near the international demos/food area.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Report was turned in.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for May. View the calendar on our website for all the details. Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible.

Project Day – 3/18 at Rickard & Evie’s house. Will work on market stalls for the faire demos. 10am start.

Events:

Spring Training, Saturday, April 1, 2017 (Event Steward – The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Armored combat, and MacGyver Challenge were just added. Katherine will organize the gate staff.

Giving out tickets at the gate for the lunch side-board was discussed.

Saxon Summer, Fri-Sun, Oct. 6-8, 2017 (Event Steward – The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Gozen was sent a message to see if she was willing/able to run equestrian activities.

Looking for staff volunteers, and will start building a schedule based on that. Lady Áine volunteered to be the class coordinator. Lord Frøkn will look for additional marshals so we can have both Thrown Weapons and Archery going at the same time.

Fall Bransle, TBD (Event Steward – Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Potentially at Canfield Fairgrounds. Details are being pursued.

Winter Wassail, TBD (Event Steward – Lady Beatrix Beeman):

Nothing new recorded.

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Friar Gillis. Note that these minutes will be published on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,
Lady Beatrix

February Business Meeting, February 7, 2017

Business Meeting, 2/7/17

Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened the meeting and passed around the attendance sheet.
The monthly officers meeting will take place during the 3rd week beginning each quarter. On that night, a general project night will take place and officers will meeting separately.

Anyone interested in assuming the roles and responsibilities of the Deputy Seneschal should speak with THL Genevieve.

Some suggestions for the future offices were made. It is suggested the Chatelain maintain a database with new contacts and follow up accordingly. In addition, when a person completes an Interest and Experience survey to share that information with the Mistress of Arts and Science. The Chronicler was asked to interview different officers each month for contributions to the newsletter.

Each officer then reported.

Exchequer (Lady Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that there is $2,239.60 in the Shire Treasury. Donations for Winter Wassail totaled $130.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):
Lady Katherine reported the Shire’s device has officially been approved after much time and tribulation.

She was also pleased to officially make it known that during Court at Winter Wassail Lady Lettice Spindler, Lady Lydia Wynne, Lady Nuria Enid Imogen and Lord Brien MacAuley were all Awarded Arms, HOOBAH!

Chatelain (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Beatrix will assume the roles of the office at this time. Lady Katherine is thanked for her service in this office.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix Beeman):

The official report was given by Lady Beatrix. Planning and help is needed by all for the upcoming Regional A&S event. Lady Áine will be assuming the roles of the office immediately. Thanks is offered to Lady Beatrix for her service.

Chronicler (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Lady Áine had nothing to report other than that Friar Gillis will assuming the roles of Chronicler at this time. Again, gratitude is extended to Lady Áine for all her work.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn had nothing to report.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn had nothing to report.

Web Minister (William Keith of Rivenvale):

William was not present.

Youth Ministers (Lady Nuria Enid Imogen):
Lady Nuria reports that she waiting for the background checks from the Kingdom office. She requests space during the Spring Training / Arts & Sciences Faire event for children’s activities.

Dance Mistress: (Lady Lettice Spindler):

Lady Lettice had nothing to report.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
THL Rickard reports during the Warrenshire festival modern tents will be placed closer to the tree line as to not take away from the Medieval atmosphere. He also suggested for the feast that dance with live music be provided. Also during the festival, a beer tent will be on site supplied by the church, caution and responsibility is to be expected by all Shire members.

A possible demo may be in the works at the Festival of the Arts at YSU.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
Thursday night practice continues in the Marche of Gwyntarian. Anyone interested in participating please contact THL Rickard for more details.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for April. View the Google calendar on our website for all the details. Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible.

Possible dates for Saxon Summer were discussed as Sept 16 or Sept 30th and will be further investigated. The 2018 date for Winter Wassail is tentatively Jan. 13, 2018.

Events:

Spring Training, Saturday, April 1st, 2017:

We have been selected by the Kingdom as the site and event to hold the Northern Oaken Regional A & S at. In additional to the A & S Faire activities, there will also be many other activities and classes, a feast and dancing! Stay tuned and watch our website for more details. You can get an idea of what this will entail by browsing the following site: http://rivenvale.org/activities/n-o-as-faire/ Due to the increased amount of activities and visitors/participants for this year’s Spring Training, we will really be needing involvement by Shire members to have a successful event. The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als is the Event Steward. More info will be forthcoming –

In Closing:
If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Friar Gillis.
Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.
Respectfully submitted in service,

Friar Gillis

January Business Meeting, January 3, 2017

**News of Importance Regarding Our Emails/Shire Communications**

(The following taken from an email sent 12/10/16 from Lord Hakon):

“In case you have not heard, the Wiggio system (that we use for our email list) is going away in a couple of months. We talked with some people around the Midrealm, including the kingdom webminister, and we now have a Google Group set up under the Midrealm domain. This will function as our new email list.

We also have gmail-based email accounts that were automatically created for all the officers, using a Midrealm.org address. You will see the officer email addresses changing over the next few weeks. These changes will be coming to most local groups soon, helping standardize communication throughout the kingdom. To subscribe to our new email list, send an email to rivenvale+subscribe@midrealm.org with the subject Subscribe. You will get a confirmation email with a link to click. That will generate a popup where you click to Apply for the list. As soon as the webminister has confirmed your request, you’ll be all set. To send an email to the entire list, the address is rivenvale@midrealm.org.”

Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve was unable to attend the meeting, and so the meeting was administered by The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als, who opened up the meeting and passed around the attendance sheet.  He then opened the floor for the officer reports.

Exchequer (Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that there is $2,112.60 in the Shire Treasury and that the rental had been paid for Pioneer Pavilion at Mill Creek Park for the Winter Wassail.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Katherine was unable to attend the meeting.

Chatelain (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Katherine was unable to attend the meeting.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix Beeman):

Lady Beatrix said that she was passing a paper for the A & S projects that we had completed.  She noted that she had completed the A & S quarterly report.

Chronicler (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Lady Áine had nothing to report.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn had nothing to report.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn had nothing to report.

Web Minister (William Keith of Rivenvale, acting):

William is in the process of learning.

Youth Ministers :

Nuria and Rose Coldrake volunteered to be joint Youth Ministers.


Dance Mistress:

Lettice Spindler is acting Dance Mistress

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Nothing to report.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

As we have previously learned, THL Rickard has been working on Knight’s Marshall for Heavy Combat activities, including heavy combat fighting, which he attends on Thursday nights in Talmadge with Brendoken.  Anyone interested in participating please contact THL Rickard for more details.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for March.  View the Google calendar on our website for all the details.  Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible. Officer’s Meeting:  January 17th at 9:00 p.m.  Location TBD.

Events: Winter Wassail, Saturday January 14, 2017

Held again at Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., it is one of our favorite and most beautiful event settings.  It is a FREE event and a great way to introduce people to SCA.  Garb and Feast Gear required.  Loaner gear will be available.  Please note that Her Majesty, The Queen, will be in attendance.  We are collecting items for the Largesse Basket on Tuesday, January 9th.  Please bring all donations to Lady Beatrix by that time.  This is a Dinner/Dancing/Socializing event, there will be no classes.  Dinner is a Period Potluck, everyone is asked to bring a period dinner item (You can bring crock pots), and an index card listing the name of your dish and the ingredients (to assist people with allergy issues).  There is a small kitchen with sink, stove, microwave and refrigerator for your use if needed.  Please note we decided to cancel the Rummage Sale.  We will, however, have our Third Annual Mead, Beer & Ale Exchange.  If you wish to participate, bring 12 bottles of your favorite beers or meads to exchange.  It is requested that the brews be specialty brews, and not modern day domestic brews.  Lady Beatrix Beeman is the Event Steward.  Details about the event are posted at http://rivenvale.org/activities/winter-wassail/ Please email your recipes for Winter Wassail to Lady Beatrix.

 

Spring Training, Saturday, April 1st, 2017: We have been selected by the Kingdom as the site and event to hold the Northern Oaken Regional A & S at.  In additional to the A & S Faire activities, there will also be many other activities and classes, a feast and dancing!  Stay tuned and watch our website for more details.  You can get an idea of what this will entail by browsing the following site:  http://rivenvale.org/activities/n-o-as-faire/  Due to the increased amount of activities and visitors/participants for this year’s Spring Training, we will really be needing involvement by Shire members to have a successful event.  The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als is the Event Steward.  More info will be forthcoming – please note that the 1st is a Saturday.

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Lady Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,
Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain

December Business Meeting 12/6/16

**News of Importance Regarding Our Emails/Shire Communications**

(The following taken from an email sent 12/10/16 from Lord Hakon):

“In case you have not heard, the Wiggio system (that we use for our email list) is going away in a couple of months. We talked with some people around the Midrealm, including the kingdom webminister, and we now have a Google Group set up under the Midrealm domain. This will function as our new email list.

We also have gmail-based email accounts that were automatically created for all the officers, using a Midrealm.org address. You will see the officer email addresses changing over the next few weeks. These changes will be coming to most local groups soon, helping standardize communication throughout the kingdom. To subscribe to our new email list, send an email to rivenvale+subscribe@midrealm.org with the subject Subscribe. You will get a confirmation email with a link to click. That will generate a popup where you click to Apply for the list. As soon as the webminister has confirmed your request, you’ll be all set. To send an email to the entire list, the address is rivenvale@midrealm.org.”

Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened up the meeting and passed around the attendance sheets.  She mentioned the dates for the Officer’s reports, noting which ones received and which ones were due, and also that this meeting was including the Holiday Cookie Exchange.  THL Genevieve then opened the floor for the officer reports.

Exchequer (Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that there is $2,265,60 in the Shire Treasury.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Katherine noted that she had received notice that the devices for Lord Frøkn and Lady Áine had been officially approved and registered.

Chatelain (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Katherine stated that we had two more new members, and invited some visitors from Warrenshire (who were visiting) to join us.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix Beeman):

Lady Beatrix said that the paper for the A & S projects that we occasionally pass around for people to complete are very helpful to her for completing her Kingdom reports.  She also noted that the Arts & Sciences Fair for Northen Oaken (our Region) will be held here during our Spring Training on April 1st.  More details to follow.

Chronicler (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Lady Áine mentioned that she is working on the January 2017 issue of the Rivenvale Review and it will be out around the second week of January.  She is always looking for some volunteers to help take meeting minutes and also to help out taking pictures, etc. at events as she is not always available to be everywhere, especially if she is helping to cook feast or teach a class.  While a volunteer deputy Chronicler would be fantastic, she is happy with any help available.  This is a great way for some of our new members to become involved with Shire happenings.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn submitted his report on time, and he noted that he would still take people who wanted to become  Marshalls-in-Training.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn had nothing additional to report.

Web Minister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson):

Lord Hakon noted that due to his departure from the Shire at the end of this month, he is going to be handing over the Web Minister duties to Kent of Rivenvale for now.  Kent is not required to take over this position unless he likes it and chooses to.  Our website can be accessed at:  www.rivenvale.org  Suggestions for content and/or improvements are always welcomed.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Nothing to report.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

As we have previously learned, THL Rickard has been working on Knight’s Marshall for Heavy Combat activities, including heavy combat fighting, which he attends on Thursday nights in Talmadge with Brendoken.  Anyone interested in participating please contact THL Rickard for more details.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for January.  View the new Google calendar on our website for all the details.  Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible.

Officer’s Meeting:

January 17th at 9:00 p.m.  Location TBD.

Events:

Winter Wassail, Saturday January 14, 2017

Held again at Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., it is one of our favorite and most beautiful event settings.  It is a FREE event and a great way to introduce people to SCA.  Garb and Feast Gear required.  Loaner gear will be available.  This is a Dinner/Dancing/Socializing event, there will be no classes.  Dinner is a Period Potluck, everyone is asked to bring a period dinner item (You can bring crock pots), and an index card listing the name of your dish and the ingredients (to assist people with allergy issues).  There is a small kitchen with sink, stove, microwave and refrigerator for your use if needed.  We are having a rummage sale, with items donated that are of interest to SCA folks.  (Start cleaning out those closets NOW!) A monetary donation to “purchase” the item will be at the buyer’s discretion.  Also, we will be having our Third Annual Mead, Beer & Ale Exchange.  If you wish to participate, bring 12 bottles of your favorite beers or meads to exchange.  It is requested that the brews be specialty brews, and not modern day domestic brews.  Lady Beatrix Beeman is the Event Steward.  Details about the event are posted at http://rivenvale.org/activities/winter-wassail/

Spring Training, Saturday, April 1st, 2017:

We have been selected by the Kingdom as the site and event to hold the Northern Oaken Regional A & S at.  In additional to the A & S Faire activities, there will also be many other activities and classes, a feast and dancing!  Stay tuned and watch our website for more details.  You can get an idea of what this will entail by browsing the following site:  http://rivenvale.org/activities/n-o-as-faire/  Due to the increased amount of activities and visitors/participants for this year’s Spring Training, we will really be needing involvement by Shire members to have a successful event.  The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als is the Event Steward.  More info will be forthcoming – please note that the 1st is a Saturday.

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Lady Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,
Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain

October Business Meeting 10/4/16

Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened up the meeting and passed around the attendance sheets.  She mentioned the dates for the Officer’s reports, noting which ones received and which ones were due.  THL Genevieve reported on some items that came from the Kingdom’s Seneschal group, specifically about insurance issues with the Society.  To sum it up, it was noted that the SCA insurance for events does not cover personal injuries participants may receive at events, or stolen property claims.  Additionally, the insurance does not cover any intentional damage that may have been made to any sites or any property of the site.  She noted that when it comes to SCA events and meetings, we are ALL bound to ensure that everything is handled responsibly, safely and with the thought of taking care of our Society by not creating any liability issues for it.  This includes taking care of items at the meeting and event sites that we use, whether we are hosting or not, and ensuring that facilities are properly cleaned up and secured when we are finished with them.  THL Genevieve then opened up the floor for the officer reports.

Exchequer (Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that she had submitted her report, and that we currently had a balance of $2,012.33.  This was after last month’s payment of the equestrian insurance that we had incurred for Saxon Summer before we knew we were cancelling it, and also for the bank fee.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Katherine was unable to attend the meeting, but left a message that THL Rickard and Lady Beatrix had their letters moved on to Laurel level.  It was also mentioned that Johannes’ device was at Kingdom level, ant that Lord Hakon’s badge had been submitted.

Chatelain (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

THL Genevieve noted for Lady Coscombe that we would be distributing a voluntary new people’s survey to the new visitors to our meeting to get a feeling of what types of classes/information they would like to see covered.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix Beeman): Lady Beatrix said that the paper for the A & S projects that THL Genevieve passed around last time helped her to complete her report and it was absolutely wonderful with the amount of classes and projects we have done as Shire members.  She noted that we had taken a combined total of over 100 classes at Pennsic.  (Chronicler’s note:  We would love it if you could share some of the class info you learned, either in a meeting topic or note/article for the Rivenvale Review.)

Chronicler (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Lady Áine mentioned that she is working on the October issue of the Rivenvale Review and it will be out soon.  She is still looking for some volunteers to help take meeting minutes and also to help out taking pictures, etc. at events as she is not always available to be everywhere, especially if she is helping to cook feast or teach a class.  While a volunteer deputy Chronicler would be fantastic, she is happy with any help available.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):  Lord Frøkn submitted his report on time, and he noted that he would still take people who wanted to become  Marshalls-in-Training

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):  Lord Frøkn had nothing additional to report.

Web Minister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson): Lord Hakon noted that he is busy keeping our new and improved website up to date.  You may access it at www.rivenvale.org  Suggestions for content and/or improvements are always welcomed.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

THL Rickard stated that if anyone was interested in going to the Green Eagle Winery in Cortland, as discussed at last month’s business meeting, please contact him and note interest.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

As we have previously learned, THL Rickard has been working on Knight’s Marshall for Heavy Combat activities, including heavy combat fighting, which he attends on Thursday nights in Talmadge with Brendoken.  Anyone interested in participating please contact THL Rickard for more details.

Officer’s Meeting:

The next meeting is set for October 18, after the regular meeting.  Location TBD.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for December.  View the new Google calendar on our website for all the details.  Of note is the Holiday Revel and Business Meeting on December 6th.  Feast gear and garb requested.  Loaner garb is available for newcomers.  There will also be a Christmas Cookie exchange.  More details as we get closer.  Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on.

Events: Of note, decided at this meeting, is that we are going to put in a bid to host the regional A & S Competition in Spring 2017. (More to follow in the future.)

Shire Project Day, Saturday October 15, 2016

Will be held at Lord Frøkn & Lady Áine’s house in Niles.  The address is 424 Seneca Street, Niles.  If you need directions please call Lady Áine.  She will also try and get a post out.  It starts at 10:00 am and goes until whenever.  Come and go as you like!  We are working on a day shade/market stall and a bocce court.  There will also be tables set up inside the house for those that wish to work on other things.

Officer’s Meeting: Tuesday, October 18th after the meeting. Location to be announced.

Fall Bransle, Saturday November 5th:

The venue for our event has changed this year to Firestone Park in Columbiana.  It will be a one day event with no camping, and the focus is on leisure activities.  There will be “Special Interest Stations” where attendees can visit, work on the applicable craft, try their hand at something new.  These will be listed on the event page.  If you have an interest to share, please contact the event steward, Lord Hakon.   Additionally, we will be having an “Artisan’s Auction & Competition.”  There will also be a Bardic competition for our Shire, and the winner will represent our Shire at the North Oaken War Maneuvers competition next Spring.  We will be having a feast, the cost will be $6.00 and MUST BE PRE-REGISTERED FOR in order to partake.  The pre-registration deadline is September 25th.  The menu is posted on the event page.  After feast, we will have dancing, led by our Dance Minister, Lord Hakon.  The site is ADA accessible and the event is FREE.  This is a good time to bring friends and relatives who want to see what we are about and have a great time!  Period garb and feast gear is required, and loaner garb is available.  For up-to-the-date information and changes, please refer to the event page at http://rivenvale.org/activities/fall-bransle/

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A DRY SITE, DO NOT BRING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ON SITE.

Winter Wassail, Saturday January 14, 2017

Held again at Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown, it is one of our favorite and most beautiful event settings.  We are having a rummage sale, with items donated that are of interest to SCA folks.  (Start cleaning out those closets NOW!)  And we will also be having our famous Mead, Beer & Ale Exchange.  Details will be posted to http://rivenvale.org/activities/winter-wassail/

Spring Training, April 23 & 24, 2017: Stay tuned and watch the website for more information.

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Lady Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,
Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain

September Business Meeting, 9/6/16

Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened up the meeting and passed around the attendance sheets, and also passed a sheet for everyone to put down the classes they had taken at Pennsic and what A & S projects they were working on.  She mentioned the dates for the Officer’s reports, noting that the Archery Marshall’s reports and Knight Marshall’s reports were due on the 1st of this month – they had been submitted.  Additionally, the Herald’s report is due September 30th and the A & S Minister’s and the Chronicler’s report are due on October 1st.  She noted that there was some issues up at Kingdom regarding contract signing, and that the Kingdom Seneschal was working on it. THL Genevieve then opened up the floor for the officer reports.

Exchequer (Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that we had a balance in the Shire Treasury of $2, 015.33, and that last month we paid the bank fee.  Additionally, we had to pay the amount that was already spent on the equestrian insurance for Saxon Summer, even though we have cancelled that, as it was a debt owed.  Lydia noted that the 2nd quarter report had gone out.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Katherine noted that the shire device was back up under consideration, and was noted in this month’s LOI.  That meant it has moved out of the Kingdom level and on the Laurel level.  She noted that several badge submissions were moving up, but reiterated that submissions may take a little longer to approve as normal as there were numerous submissions from Pennsic to the Society.

Chatelain (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Katherine welcomed four new people to our meeting.  They were introduced as David, Angie, Jamison and Levi.  Welcome! Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix Beeman): Lady Beatrix said that the paper for the A & S that THL Genevieve passed around would help her complete the report she had due next month.

Chronicler (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Lady Áine mentioned that the next edition of the Rivenvale Review is due out October 1st.  She will publish the submission deadline to the populace shortly.  Additionally, she stated that she is still looking for a deputy Chronicler, to help her with the Review and especially monthly business meeting minutes.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):  Lord Frøkn submitted his report on time, and would like to have at least one more practice before the weather turns.  He also noted that Lady Beatrix and Brian would like to become Marshalls-in-Training (MITs).

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):  Lord Frøkn had nothing additional to report.

Web Minister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson): Lord Hakon noted that he is busy keeping our new and improved website up to date.  You may access it at www.rivenvale.org  Check the calendar for meeting topics and also note that event details are posted to update events as they become available. Suggestions for content and/or improvements are always welcomed.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

THL Rickard noted that he has been approached by The Green Eagle Winery in Cortland to put on a small demo.  This was discussed and it was the general consensus that we should visit it informally to view the facility, etc.  More to come on that.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

As we have previously learned, THL Rickard has been working on Knight’s Marshall for Heavy Combat activities, including heavy combat fighting, which he attends on Thursday nights in Talmadge with Brendoken.  Anyone interested in participating please contact THL Rickard for more details.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for November.  View the new Google calendar on our website for all the details.  Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on.

Events:

Shire Project Day, Saturday October 15, 2016:

Will be held at Lord Frøkn & Lady Áine’s house in Niles.  Directions will be forthcoming via email.

Officer’s Meeting: Tuesday, October 18th after the meeting. Location to be announced.

Fall Bransle, Saturday November 5th:

The venue for our event has changed this year to Firestone Park in Columbiana.  It will be a one day event with no camping, and the focus is on leisure activities.  There will be “Special Interest Stations” where attendees can visit, work on the applicable craft, try their hand at something new.  These will be listed on the event page.  If you have an interest to share, please contact the event steward, Lord Hakon.   Additionally, we will be having an “Artisan’s Auction & Competition.”  There will also be a Bardic competition for our Shire, and the winner will represent our Shire at the North Oaken War Maneuvers competition next Spring.  We will be having a feast, the cost will be $8.00 and MUST BE PRE-REGISTERED FOR in order to partake.  The menu is posted on the event page.  After feast, we will have dancing, led by our Dance Minister, Lord Hakon.  The site is ADA accessible and the event is FREE.  This is a good time to bring friends and relatives who want to see what we are about and have a great time!  Period garb and feast gear is required, and loaner garb is available.  For up-to-the-date information and changes, please refer to the event page at http://rivenvale.org/activities/fall-bransle/

Winter Wassail, Saturday January 14, 2017:

Held again at Pioneer Pavilion in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown, it is one of our favorite and most beautiful event settings.  We are having a rummage sale, with items donated that are of interest to SCA folks.  (Start cleaning out those closets NOW!)  And we will also be having our famous Mead, Beer & Ale Exchange.  Details will be posted to http://rivenvale.org/activities/winter-wassail/

Spring Training, April 23 & 24, 2017:

Stay tuned and watch the website for more information.

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Lady Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,
Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain