May Business Meeting, May 2, 2017

May 3, 2017, 2017

 Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened the meeting and took attendance, not all who were physically present were mentally accounted for.

Each officer then reported:

Exchequer (Lady Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that there is $2464.90 in the Shire Treasury. The money from the Spring Training event has been finalized.  Select officers will be meeting on Saturday to sign new cards at Bank for check writing purposes.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Nothing new to report. Encourages those in attendance, who have not registered their device she would be happy to assist. Bad Friar.

Chatelain (Lady Beatrix Beeman):

Continues to work on email and list of anyone who may have visited or attended meetings or events in the past. Needs to get official email settings correct prior to sending emails.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Nothing new to report. Lady Áine would like to be kept appraised of work being done by individuals. This will assist in her reporting but also may be of interest to other members and for future classes.

Chronicler (Friar Gillis MacLachlan):

Nothing new to report. A request was made to include recipes in the quarterly newsletter.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Weather has not cooperated thus far this year, nothing to report for the shire. Paperwork for those interested in pursuing Marshal In-Training will be completed at upcoming meeting.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Weather has not cooperated thus far this year, nothing to report.

Web Minister (William Keith of Rivenvale):

William was not present. Rickard, deputy Web Minister, reported that a new tab was added to the website to make finding past Newsletters more convenient. Also suggested that older, paper versions of newsletters should be scanned and added, time permitting.

Youth Minister (Lady Nuria Enid Imogen):

Lady Nuria reported that additional members Lady Beatrix and Lady Katherine will also get background checks to ensure the required two members be present for activities to be publicized for Children’s activities. No activities can be offered for the Warrenshire demo due to unavailability of two members.

Dance Mistress: (Lady Lettice Spindler):

Identifying which dances and dancers for the Shire demo, Warrenshire faire, is under way.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Planning and Coordinating for the Warrenshire faire/demo continues. Rickard is looking for individuals to sign up for a variety of duties during the faire; including: Camp attendants/guards, Craft or Arts & Science in Market stalls, Guards for Parade and Thrown Weapons practice.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Nothing to report.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for August. View the calendar on our website for all the details. Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible.

Events:

 Saxon Summer, Fri-Sun, Oct. 6-8, 2017 (Event Steward – The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

In Closing:

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Friar Gillis. Note that these minutes will be published on our shire website.

 

April Business Meeting, April 4, 2017

Officer’s Reports:
Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):
THL Genevieve opened the meeting and passed around the attendance sheet.
Each officer then reported:

Exchequer (Lady Lydia Wynne):
The Exchequer reported that there is $1833.60 in the Shire Treasury. The money from the Spring Training event have not been finalized yet as receipts are still outstanding.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):
Was not present.

Chatelain (Lady Beatrix Beeman):
Was not present.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):
Lady Áine would like to be kept appraised of work being done by individuals. This will assist in her reporting but also may be of interest to other members and for future classes.
Future activities with the various shire guilds will also be explored.

Chronicler (Friar Gillis MacLachlan):
Quarterly Chronicler report was filed. Newsletter has been updated. Individuals are asked to share items or information that may be instrumental with their personas.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):
Weather has not cooperated thus far this year, nothing to report for the shire. Lord Frøkn has offered his services for the two upcoming events in Eastwatch.
Paperwork for those interested in pursuing Marshal In-Training will be completed at up coming workshop.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):
Weather has not cooperated thus far this year, nothing to report.

Web Minister (William Keith of Rivenvale):
William was not present.

Youth Minister (Lady Nuria Enid Imogen):
Lady Nuria was not present. Deputy, Rose Coldrake stated she and Lady Nuria had received confirmation on Kingdom background checks.

Dance Mistress: (Lady Lettice Spindler):
Identifying which dances and dancers for the Shire demo, Warrenshire faire, is under way.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
Planning and Coordinating for the Warrenshire faire/demo continues.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
Nothing to report.

Meeting News:
Our schedule was set for June. View the calendar on our website for all the details. Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible.

Project Day – 4/29 at Rickard & Evie’s house. Will work on market stalls for the faire demos. 10am start.

Events:
Spring Training , Lord Frøkn will be the event steward for next year’s Spring Training event.

Saxon Summer, Fri-Sun, Oct. 6-8, 2017 (Event Steward – The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Fall Bransle, it has been decided that considering Saxon Summer had to be pushed back to October to cancel Fall Bransle this year rather than have two events close together.

Winter Wassail, TBD (Event Steward – Lady Beatrix Beeman):
Nothing new recorded.

In Closing:
If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Friar Gillis. Note that these minutes will be published on our shire website.

February Business Meeting, February 7, 2017

Business Meeting, 2/7/17

Officer’s Reports:

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

THL Genevieve opened the meeting and passed around the attendance sheet.
The monthly officers meeting will take place during the 3rd week beginning each quarter. On that night, a general project night will take place and officers will meeting separately.

Anyone interested in assuming the roles and responsibilities of the Deputy Seneschal should speak with THL Genevieve.

Some suggestions for the future offices were made. It is suggested the Chatelain maintain a database with new contacts and follow up accordingly. In addition, when a person completes an Interest and Experience survey to share that information with the Mistress of Arts and Science. The Chronicler was asked to interview different officers each month for contributions to the newsletter.

Each officer then reported.

Exchequer (Lady Lydia Wynne):

The Exchequer reported that there is $2,239.60 in the Shire Treasury. Donations for Winter Wassail totaled $130.

Herald (Lady Katherine Coscombe):
Lady Katherine reported the Shire’s device has officially been approved after much time and tribulation.

She was also pleased to officially make it known that during Court at Winter Wassail Lady Lettice Spindler, Lady Lydia Wynne, Lady Nuria Enid Imogen and Lord Brien MacAuley were all Awarded Arms, HOOBAH!

Chatelain (Lady Katherine Coscombe):

Lady Beatrix will assume the roles of the office at this time. Lady Katherine is thanked for her service in this office.

Mistress of Arts & Sciences (Lady Beatrix Beeman):

The official report was given by Lady Beatrix. Planning and help is needed by all for the upcoming Regional A&S event. Lady Áine will be assuming the roles of the office immediately. Thanks is offered to Lady Beatrix for her service.

Chronicler (Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain):

Lady Áine had nothing to report other than that Friar Gillis will assuming the roles of Chronicler at this time. Again, gratitude is extended to Lady Áine for all her work.

Archery Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn had nothing to report.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (Lord Frøkn mac Cainnaig):

Lord Frøkn had nothing to report.

Web Minister (William Keith of Rivenvale):

William was not present.

Youth Ministers (Lady Nuria Enid Imogen):
Lady Nuria reports that she waiting for the background checks from the Kingdom office. She requests space during the Spring Training / Arts & Sciences Faire event for children’s activities.

Dance Mistress: (Lady Lettice Spindler):

Lady Lettice had nothing to report.

Demo Coordinator (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
THL Rickard reports during the Warrenshire festival modern tents will be placed closer to the tree line as to not take away from the Medieval atmosphere. He also suggested for the feast that dance with live music be provided. Also during the festival, a beer tent will be on site supplied by the church, caution and responsibility is to be expected by all Shire members.

A possible demo may be in the works at the Festival of the Arts at YSU.

Acting Knight’s Marshall (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):
Thursday night practice continues in the Marche of Gwyntarian. Anyone interested in participating please contact THL Rickard for more details.

Meeting News:

Our schedule was set for April. View the Google calendar on our website for all the details. Please note that if the subject matter set for a meeting is not something someone is specifically interested, all are allowed to bring personal projects to work on. Please also let us know if there is a subject you would like to see as a class or interest group, and we will try to accommodate it if possible.

Possible dates for Saxon Summer were discussed as Sept 16 or Sept 30th and will be further investigated. The 2018 date for Winter Wassail is tentatively Jan. 13, 2018.

Events:

Spring Training, Saturday, April 1st, 2017:

We have been selected by the Kingdom as the site and event to hold the Northern Oaken Regional A & S at. In additional to the A & S Faire activities, there will also be many other activities and classes, a feast and dancing! Stay tuned and watch our website for more details. You can get an idea of what this will entail by browsing the following site: http://rivenvale.org/activities/n-o-as-faire/ Due to the increased amount of activities and visitors/participants for this year’s Spring Training, we will really be needing involvement by Shire members to have a successful event. The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als is the Event Steward. More info will be forthcoming –

In Closing:
If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Friar Gillis.
Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.
Respectfully submitted in service,

Friar Gillis

March Business Meeting, 3/8/15

Meeting Minutes

Officer Reports:

Exchequer – Nothing to report.

A&S – Northern Oaken A&S Regional Fair will be April 25th in the Barony of the Cleftlands.  Reminder, that you must RSVP by March 10th for the shoe making class which starts on March 24th so materials can be ordered.

Thrown Weapons – April 14th, we will be cleaning the loaner weapons to prep for Spring Training on the 18th.  Also, we will try to start holding TW practices in April (weather permitting).

Chatelain – Nothing to report.

Meeting Schedule for April:
7 – Business Meeting, Potluck Dinner, Dancing, Review of Gate Forms and Event Reports
14 – Last Minute Event Planning, General Project Night, TW Cleaning/Prep
21 – Hand Sewing Workshop $2 Materials Care and Feeding of your Thrown Weapons
28 – Leatherwork Class Series – Part IX:  Period Wax Tablet (or smart phone) Case

Spring Training:
Archery and TW weather permitting during the day.  In case of bad weather, we will have additional indoor activities such as leather workshop.
Also planned during the day:  Juggling Workshop, Shakespeare Roundtable Discussion, Fiber Arts Roundtable Project Area, Garb Fitting Workshop.
Dancing and gaming in the evening.
Lunch Tavern:  Volunteers will make/donate food items in exchange for eating free.  Items will be for general sale with proceeds going to the shire.  Soup, salad, bread, desserts are planned.  Please list ingredients. The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo will organize.
Feast will be by pre-reg only. Cost will be $8.  Menu will be available soon.

Upcoming Events/Activities:
This Sat. is Masque of Courtly Love, in Marche of Alderford (North Canton, Ohio).
March 28 is Masque de la Fou, in the Shire of Eastwatch (Thompson, OH).
Spring Project Day will be woodworking; making camp chairs.  Date:  June 27 at Rickard & Evie’s house.

New Business:
A change to the Shire Decision-Making Policy was approved.  The attendance requirement for regular attendees was simplified in order to minimize attendance record keeping.  The new policy will only track attendance at business meetings; regular attendees need to attend at least 3 of the previous 12  businessmeetings to be eligible to vote.

Attendees:
Caitriona, Beatrix (MOAS), Da’ud (Exchequer), Dustin, Lydia, Sam, Theodora, Rickard (Chatelain, Thrown Weapons Lieutenant), Evie (Seneschal)

Minutes: October Business Meeting

October Business Meeting, 10/7/14

Officer’s Reports:

Exchequer (al-Sayyid Abu Shadi Da’ud ibn Zahir):

The incoming Exchequer was in attendance, and reported that the changeover to the new Exchequer was underway, with signature cards needing to be completed and the national paperwork underway. As reported last month, the position will be changing from Lady Æðelhild æt Liðerlande to al-Sayyid Abu Shadi Da’ud ibn Zahir.

Chatelain (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Nothing to report at this time. As always, everyone is welcome at any of our events or meetings, if interested contact the Chatelain for more information (Rickard.de.als.@gmail.com)

Herald (Frøkn McCoinneach):

We have no specific days scheduled for Heraldry at this time, but anyone may check with him at any time if needing guidance on name or device submission.

Minister of Arts & Sciences (Lady Donata Ianelli di San Bartolomeo en Galta):

Lady Donata was not in attendance so had nothing personally to report, but it is noted here that the Shire held our monthly Project Day last Saturday, October 4th, sponsored by Lord Hakon Hrafnsson at the Northbury Colony Clubhouse in Warren. Six shire tabards were completed and several pennons in the Shire colors. The gathering commenced at approximately 9:00 a.m. and completed in the afternoon. Pictures of the completed work will be posted on the Shire website when available. An extremely enjoyable social time was had by all in attendance.

Webminister (Lord Hakon Hrafnsson):

Our Shire website is located at www.Rivenvale.org. There was more work completed on the Awards area. Please review last month’s minutes for more information about our Awards section. If you have any questions on any of the web content, or wish to make any suggestions for additions, feel free to contact Lord Hrafnsson or any officer at any time. You will find their SCA and mundane names and phones and email contact information on the Shire site under”Officers”.

Thrown Weapons Lieutenant (The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als):

Because of the advancing of the seasons our time for participating in Thrown Weapons shall be diminishing.

Seneschal (The Honorable Lady Genevieve de Saint-Malo):

We are moving our storage area for our SCA things to be combined in another secure area in the church with their medieval things for their church festival. This will also decrease the amount of people who have access to our things (ie Scouts, etc). We will all be working together to relocate our things after the business meeting is adjourned.

The work on the job and event descriptions is underway. They will be ready soon for review and voting. They will definitely be voted on by the end of the year and will be in place for 2015 and on.

A reminder about our campfire for October 28th, there will be stories and fun.

Future Event Updates:

Fall Bransle:

This will be held on Saturday, November 1st at the church. Please note that this is a FREE event and will be a great opportunity to introduce new people to SCA. Garb is required for all. The site will be opened up at noon and classes will be beginning as of 1:00 pm. The focus of this event will be “Period Leisure Activities.” Check the website for more information, there is a lot of info there! It will be continuously updated as more info becomes available. Also, there will be a Shire Silent Auction/Garage Sale to raise monies for the Shire. We will also be having the 1st Annual Beer & Mead Exchange. Please watch the website for more specifics at http://rivenvale.org/events/fall-bransle/.

Other upcoming events:

Winter Revel at the Church in December. We will be focusing on the celebration of the Holidays in period style.

Winter Wassail on January 3rd at the Pioneer Pavilion. We will be collecting $10.00 from each member between now and December to help pay for the site rental fee, as we are not allowed to charge admission for the event at the door. More information will be forthcoming.

Spring Training at the Church on April 18th. Event steward will be The Honorable Lord Rickard de Als. New to this year will be a Feast; Feast steward will be Áine ingen Uí Briain.

If there are any corrections and/or additions that need to be recorded in the official Shire minutes, please contact Áine.

Please note that these minutes will be linked on our shire website.

Respectfully submitted in service,

Áine ingen Uí Briain